Wednesday, 22 May 2019
Saturday, 11 February 2017
First reporter on the scene
Updated 20 February

Lewins Way stabbings: Two dead, no explanation

Police murder investigation continues

Report and photographs: Paul Janik
The Lewins Way murder scene

A stabbed man discovered in a street has died in hospital.

Inside a house police found a second stabbed man already dead.

The murder investigation

On Saturday, 11 February, Thames Valley Police's Major Crime Unit launched a murder investigation into a fatal stabbing.

Detective chief inspector Ailsa Kent said at the time:

At this stage of our investigation no arrests have been made.

However I believe only two people are involved - the man who is currently under police supervision in hospital and the man who sadly died inside the property in Lewins Way.

I am confident there is no risk to the wider public.

On Friday afternoon, 10 February, police say they were alerted at 17.43 to a stabbed man in Lower Cippenham Lane. Upon arrival police immediately requested an ambulance to take the critically injured man to Wexham Park hospital for life-saving treatment. Police guarded the man at the hospital.

Police enquiries lead them to a house in Lewins Way, Cippenham, where they discovered the main occupant, 59 years-old Dennis Kelly, had been stabbed to death.

On Saturday afternoon, the police's senior investigator Mrs Kent said:

The deceased has not yet been formerly identified although we have informed his next of kin. A post-mortem examination of the body is likely to take place on Sunday 12 February.

The public will notice an increased police presence in the area. Officers will provide reassurance whilst supporting house to house enquiries and reviewing CCTV. Our investigation will be assisted by a team of dedicated detectives.

In Lewins Way we are continuing to examine the crime scene.

Police appeal

Mrs Kent, formerly a Neighbourhood Policing inspector in Slough, made a strong appeal for public assistance.

We need help from the public to piece together what happened yesterday.

I would like to hear from anyone who was in the vicinity of either Lewins Way or Lower Cippenham Lane between about midday and 7pm yesterday (Friday 10 February) and who saw or heard anything unusual. Even the smallest bit of information could be every helpful.

The easiest way to contact the police is by dialling 101 or by visiting your nearest police station.

If you do not feel comfortable speaking directly to the police then please contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555 111. Crimestoppers never takes your personal details. Your call is never traced or recorded and you will never have to go to court.

At the scene

The tranquil scene immediately after the body was removed

The police's press release was issued at 16:50 Saturday.

When the Slough Times arrived it was dark. One police car was parked outside. Another police car was parked in a neighbour's front garden. A police van and another police car were parked further along the road.

Blue and white police tape cordoned-off the house's front garden where a white and blue police tent was erected. Outside the house two Police Community Support Officers stood in the windy cold and drizzling icy rain.

A grey van marked 'Private Ambulance' was parked outside the house. At 19:31 the dead man's body was wheeled away and placed in the back of the van. It was a sobering sight to see the long plastic body bag on the trolley.

The van waited for its police escort. When a police van arrived, it followed the 'Private Ambulance' out onto Cippenham Lane and then on to the Bath Road heading towards the hospital.

The police escort is to ensure that in cases where the precise cause of death has not been authoritatively established by a medical doctor, no person can tamper with the evidence. In this case the evidence is the dead man's body.

The post-mortem examination at Wexham Park hospital is to determine whether the dead man died from his stab wounds or from another cause.

Police guard house for second night

All night guard of the murder house

Police personnel are stationed at the Lewins Way crime scene for the second night, as the murder investigation continues.

Kind neighbours, next door and across the road, provided warm drinks to the Police Community Support Officers standing outside in the bitterly cold weather.

The post-mortem results are awaited.

A tribute to Dennis Kelly

A person who knew the family told the Slough Times:-

Its a shock.

Dennis was a friendly individual, part of the local community. He always said 'hello'.

The house was previously occupied by his mother Patricia. Dennis was trying to do-up the place. He lived there with a friend. It is very sad.

Police update: Monday 13 February 18:20

Sunday's post-mortem examination of Mr Kelly established he died from multiple stab wounds to his chest.

The stabbed man found in Lower Cippenham Lane died in hospital from his injuries on Sunday evening 12 February. The man has not yet been formally identified although some say he is the person who lived at the house with Dennis Kelly. This person's post-mortem is scheduled for Thursday 16 February.

Police remain keen to hear from anyone who can help them understand what happened.

Update: Monday, 20 February

The seriously injured man, found by the public in Lower Cippenham Lane on Friday 10 February, who died from stab wounds in Wexham Park hospital has been identified as David Yokota, aged 39.

On the assumption Mr Yokota started the very last journey in his life from the house in Lewins Way, where he stayed with Dennis Kelly, 59, Mr Yokota staggered along Lewins Way, then onto Brook Path, turning right (westwards) into Lower Cippenham Lane.

Mr Yokota's destination was his family's cul-de-sac home off Lower Cippenham Lane but Mr Yokota's critical injuries (thought to be self-inflicted) made him collapse a short distance away.

The Slough Times understands Mr Yokota's post-mortem examination was unable to conclusively identify the specific cause of his death.

Local people have described the fondness of Mr Kelly for his Jack Russell dog. He was regularly seen walking with his dog in all sorts of weather.

After the stabbing frenzy inside Mr Kelly's Lewins Way home, Mr Kelly's dog was missing from his master's side. We understand the dog was eventually found in a park.

Inquest report