Thursday, 23 May 2019
Friday, 29 September 2017

Anthony Holmes arrested again for explosives offences

Police again raid home and business premises

Report and photographs: Paul Janik
Man arrested for explosives
Same thing happened last year
As darkness comes, police still busy at the house.

Thames Valley Police have arrested 41 years old company director Anthony Holmes of The Fairway, Burnham, South Bucks District, on suspicion of making explosive substance for unlawful purpose.

At 11:00 on Thursday, 28 September, police, using a search warrant, raided Mr Holmes' home, a detached corner bungalow in The Fairway estate, off Green Lane.

At 13:00 police then raided Mr Homes' business premises at 24 Britwell Road, near the top end of Burnham High Street.

Police Inspector Brendan Murray said

This is a multi agency operation with the Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service and South Central Ambulance Service also at both scenes.

Mr Holmes is believed to be in police custody.


The Fairway home is the family home, previously owned by Mr Holmes' father who died in 2014. Neighbours say Mr Holmes is quiet and lives alone.

In 2013 Mr Holmes was appointed a director of the family business Ethel Roberts Limited, a manufacture of perfumes and toilet preparations, established in 1954 but dormant since 2001.

Ethel Roberts Limited is owned by another family business Laboratory Facilities Limited. Mr Holmes became a director of Laboratory Facilities in December 2013 but on 1 June 2017 was replaced by two elderly family members.

Laboratory Facilities activities are the manufacture of perfumes and toilet preparations and packaging.

Both companies are based at 24 Britwell Road, Burnham.

June 2016

Just before 06:00 on Saturday, 25 June 2016, police were called to Mr Holmes' home.

Police discovered A number of chemicals ..... at the property. Consequently the neighbourhood was evacuated to the Burnham Beeches Hotel as a precautionary measure.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) technicians arrived to carry out controlled burning of the chemicals.

Residents were allowed back to their homes by midnight on Saturday/Sunday.

Mr Holmes was arrested on suspicion of:

  • wasting police time
  • making a false report to police
  • possession of class B drugs with intent to supply
  • concerned in the production of a class A drug
  • possessing and/or controlling explosives with the intent to endanger life or injure property

At the time Superintendent Ed McLean said:

I would like to thank local residents for their cooperation and patience while we and our partner agencies carry out enquiries at the scene. I can understand that it was an inconvenience for residents to be evacuated yesterday, but their safety is our priority.

I would like to reassure the community that we are not linking the discovery of these chemicals to terrorism. The chemicals will be forensically examined to determine exactly what they are.

I would like to thank our partner agencies, South Bucks District Council, Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service and the technicians from Explosive Ordnance Disposal, for their help in this investigation.

Mr Holmes was released on police bail until 13 August 2016. Police never advised what happen afterwards.